IEEE-USA’s MOVE team has acquired a donated truck from CISCO and will be in the process of installing the equipment for MOVE to be operational (See press release).
MOVE is a volunteer-run emergency relief program that assists victims of natural disasters with short-term communications, computer, and power solutions. This helps those affected contact loved ones and make sure they can access the help they need. MOVE’s flagship vehicle and personnel have served in 19 states across the southern and eastern United States and Puerto Rico.
With Cisco’s generous vehicle donation, MOVE will effectively double the size of its disaster relief fleet, enabling the program to help even more people. After all the necessary equipment is installed and tested, the truck will be deployed to the western U.S., while the existing vehicle will remain on the East Coast.
Thus Region 6 IEEE members now have an exciting volunteer opportunity that will make a difference in our Region: to show our local community how IEEE and wireless communications can help our neighbors in the time of natural and man-made disasters through temporary restoration of communications for first responders. #ConnectivityMatters
If interested, please fill out the volunteer interest form below:
Let us know your interest at this form: IEEE MOVE USA – Volunteer Form
Available opportunities include:
- Radio team – supports all radios on the truck
- Radio Club – a new “team” that will support disaster communications by amateur radio operators
- Maintenance team- spends many hours keeping the truck in top condition and always ready for deployment
- Network team – supports all the digital communications and digital devices on the truck
- Weather team – key to tracking storms and providing deployed teams with the latest updates
- Training team – provides education for drivers, disaster deployment teams, and Stem/Outreach teams
- STEM/Outreach team – supports our student/public education mission
- Disaster Deployment team – supports deployments into disaster areas
- Communication Team – updates our followers with the latest MOVE information
- Leadership team – provides project management for the MOVE Program
IEEE-USA’s MOVE Community Outreach Initiative is a donor supported program facilitated through the IEEE Foundation. For more information about MOVE and how you can support its efforts, please visit the MOVE website at https://move.ieeeusa.org.
Follow the progress of the truck upgrade at https://www.facebook.com/ie
Join the MOVEment today!!!