The Region 6 Awards Program
The Region 6 awards program is substantially different from all previous years. In brief, here are the important changes
- All Region awards can be nominated by any Region member. There are no Area awards any longer.
- All award nominations and endorsement letters will be submitted online to a TBA award management system. There are no forms any longer. No more emailed or paper nominations.
For 2018, the deadline for Region Award nominations submission is July 1, 2018 by 11pm Pacific time. [MGA Outstanding Section Awards nominations due 15-May]
Download the Submission Package here. (There is no online process this year.)
Purpose and Value of the Awards Program
The awards program honors IEEE volunteers, engineers, and teachers within Region 6. This is important because those who contribute to IEEE and to our community should be recognized and thanked for their hard work, dedication, and contributions.
The New Awards Categories
- Outstanding Corporate Service
- Outstanding Small Section of the Year (less than 501 active members)
- Outstanding Medium Section of the Year (501-1500 members)
- Outstanding Large Section of the Year (more than 1500 active members)
- Outstanding Small Student Branch of the Year (up to 25 active members)
- Outstanding Large Student Branch of the year (more than 25 active members)
- Outstanding Chapter of the Year (includes Technical Councils and Affinity Groups except WIE and LMAG which are now given their own awards)
- Outstanding Contribution to Promoting Women in Engineering – this may be to an individual (up to 3 people), or to a WIE Chapter
- Outstanding Contribution to Promoting Life Member Activities – this may be to an individual, or to a LMAG Chapter
- Outstanding Engineer – must be an IEEE member
- Outstanding Service and Leadership to the IEEE
- Outstanding Educator – must be an IEEE member
- Outstanding Educator of K through 12
- Outstanding IEEE member who made contributions to STEM and Education as a Mentor, Assistant, or Facilitator
- Outstanding IEEE member Contributing to Global Humanitarian Projects or Activities
- Outstanding IEEE member promoting Membership Development or Senior Elevation
- Outstanding IEEE Young Professional
Rules and Requirements to Submit Region 6 Nominations
For 2018, the deadline for submission is July 1, 2018 by 11pm Pacific time. All nominations will be online.
- No self-nominations.
- All nominations of individuals require two letters of recommendation. The deadline is the same as above.
- All nominations and letters must come from IEEE members.
Read the Region 6 Awards Categories with Descriptions to determine the requirements and qualifications.
Contact Loretta Arellano, R6 Awards Chair for instructions on how to submit an online award nomination.
IEEE Rules for Awards and Nominations
These are IEEE-wide rules as defined in the MGA manual.
- No individuals may nominate themselves.
- Members of the Region 6 N/A committee are not eligible to be nominated for an individual award.
- Neither an Awards Chair, nor a Section Chair acting as an awards chair may submit nominations or letters of recommendation.
- Members of any awards committee that has voting power on awards may not submit nominations or letters of recommendation.
To make a nomination, read the Region 6 Awards Categories with Descriptions to determine the requirements and qualifications, and the fields that are required in the online nominations form at the online Region 6 awards portal: <TBA>.
Letters of Endorsement
All nominations of individuals require two letters of recommendation (endorsement). These individuals will receive a confirmation email asking them to submit their endorsement online. They will need to create an account on the online system to access the endorsement form (see instructions above). The online form requires the following information:
Endorsement for a nomination of an individual in your Section of Region 6
Your name has been submitted by the nominator of a nominee for an award in your Section. Please fill out this brief form and submit it via the online Region 6 awards portal.
- How long have you known the Nominee? (fill in the box)
- List and describe all of the different capacities that you have worked with and directly interacted with the Nominee. (fill in the box with details)
- Given the specific award for which this person has been nominated, please give your opinion as objectively as possible how this Nominee fits the criteria of the award and deserves this award. (fill in the box with details)
Contact Loretta Arellano, R6 Awards Chair for questions or help on the instructions for submitting your online award nomination.